Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"mcdreamy"

I rediscovered some old journals over the weekend, and have been reading them in what little free time I seem to have these days.  I came across this entry (which I wrote in 2006), and thought that it is pretty fitting for how I'm starting to feel.

So one of my friends recently posted a blog with a picture of Meredith and "McDreamy" from Grey's Anatomy asking why a connection like that can't exist in real life; why tv gives us such an idealistic view on love.  When I read her blog I very quickly responded with "because there is no such thing as a "McDreamy!"


Well, I've been thinking about this a lot, and I'm starting to think that maybe there is a "McDreamy" out there for each of us.  Somewhere out there, there's got to be someone that can love us in all of the ways that we need to be loved.  There's that person whose arms we fit so perfectly in.  There's that person that can break down all of our walls without us even knowing what hit us.  Somewhere out there is that one person that we can have that undeniable Meredith/McDreamy connection with...


...But the key to having that connection is to not settle.  Most of us never feel that connection because we settle for the first person to love us, the first person that makes us feel good.  We tell ourselves that the good we feel in that moment is enough.  We forget about all of those things that we deserve, all of those things that we need.  We forget about all of those things that we say we will not settle for.  We're so afraid of never finding someone that we settle for the first time that we feel loved.


So, I think that in order to get this "made for tv chemistry" we have to figure out what it is that we need.  Figure out the qualities that we need in the one that we're going to be with forever, not settle for anything less.  Somewhere out there is someone that can love each of us in all of the right ways...but it's up to us to figure out what those ways are.


And, we have to stop looking for love because we won't find it.  You can't seek out that kind of connection; it is something that just happens.  You can't make yourself fall in love anymore than you can make someone fall in love with you!  Let love find you, let it catch you off guard-because when you just allow it to happen is when you're going to discover that once in a lifetime kind of love...that Meredith/McDreamy, made for tv connection.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s so very true!

    So many people settle and then wonder down the road why they’re not happy. They accept Mr. Okay rather than waiting for Mr. Right. That being said, obviously all relationships go through ups and downs, Meredith and McDreamy included. What’s key is knowing that the person you’re with compliments and fits you perfectly.

    I’ve been told by several people trying to “help” me along, “You’re going to have to lower your standards” or “You’re ideals are too high, no one like that exists.” Well, I call BS. I know men like that exist. I’ve met them before – I just haven’t met mine yet.

    I think I’ve been inspired to start a “What I Need” list!

    Keep this mindset!! Love it!! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete